Thursday, March 20, 2014

A New Best Friend

Meet the newest member of our family...our tiny toy poodle puppy, Oliver. Right now, his name is Oliver, but this afternoon HER name was Molly. We've had our sweet little pup for two days now and we were told when we got him that he was a girl. So, we named him and have thought of him as a girl until we took him to the vet this afternoon and learned that we were wrong all along. I got a message from Joe while he was at the vet that said, "You better start thinking of boy dog names..."  Surprise! Wish I would have known that before I came home from Petsmart with all this pink. Sorry Oliver. I'll go back and get you that cute boy collar with a bow tie, but you are stuck with the pink doggy bed.

We weren't planning on getting a puppy yet. I love dogs, but I liked the idea of waiting until we were done having babies before getting a dog.  Joe was really ready. It didn't seem like the right time to me, but after having Buffy around for a month, my heart softened a bit. I went from saying, "No way! No dogs right now" to "The only way I will get a dog is if it is small (meaning it wouldn't take up a lot of space/knock the kids down) and doesn't shed (already enough to clean up, don't need to add drool and dog hair)."  

Fast forward five days. Joe comes home from a meeting where he met with a couple who unexpectedly breeds toy poodles. They just so happened to have a puppy that needed a home. They were so adamant about finding a good home for the puppy that they wanted us to adopt him for free. After Joe came home and we discussed it, we couldn't say no to this sweet face! Did I mention he is small, doesn't shed and even resembles Buffy a bit? God is so kind to give us the desires of our hearts even in the smallest details. This opportunity fell into our laps and blessed us, so despite the extra hustle that comes with little kids and a potty training puppy, we became a pet owning family overnight!  
The girls are totally in love. Ella keeps calling him, "Buff". Abby stays in the kitchen with him when he isn't sleeping because she is very sensitive to the fact that he misses his mommy. She doesn't want him to be alone. They both love sitting down and having him crawl into their laps. But, when Ollie (how do you like that smooth transition from Molly to Ollie) starts playing the girls freak out because he wants to pounce on their feet and nibble their socks. It is so sweet to watch him pad around the room and attempt to successfully escape the kitchen.

He loves curling up with Joe as he works downstairs.


  

bonding
Welcome to our family, Oliver! Joe needed another guy around here. We love you already. Now, let's work on going potty outside, ok boy?  

No comments:

Post a Comment