https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MXZZkx3Hns
It is hard to be a kid waiting to open presents on Christmas Eve. The only gifts under our tree were ones we wrapped up for others and the ones sent to us from Aunt Cyncy and Nagymama, but they represented the idea of what was to come. At one point, I walked into the room to find Abby and Ella sitting by the tree and shaking their gifts. It made me smile.
One of the best (and most memorable) parts of this Christmas was the surprisingly unseasonable weather we had on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I have lived in NY for all thirty years of my life and this is the very first year the temps got up to 70 degrees. Short sleeves on Christmas in NY is unheard of and it was magical. Don't get me wrong, I love a white Christmas like anyone else, but it was a really refreshing thing to be able to go outside to play and not have to trudge to church in icy, cold conditions. In the afternoon, we got all dressed up for church and took lots of pictures OUTSIDE before we left!
We got to church a little early, so that Joe could practice with the worship team before the service. A bunch of the girls' friends were in the front row watching their parents practice and rocking out to the music. I sense lots of Christmas excitement in the air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1F_hvJfr4
This was my company in the nursing mother's room during the service!
When we got home from church, Juliet went down for a nap and the girls watched Elf while we waited for Papa to arrive. "I just like smiling. Smiling is my favorite!"
We munched on Pioneer Woman's Spinach and Artichoke Dip while dinner cooked. Yum! This will always be remembered as the Christmas we grilled steaks and shrimp without coats on! Our Christmas menu also included mashed potatoes, a broccoli/cauliflower bake and homemade rolls. It was delicious.
Papa and his babies
Before we knew it, it was way past bedtime and the perfect time for the girls to open their one Christmas Eve gift, new jammies and a new ornament. This year, Abby's ornament commemorated the teeth she has lost. Ella's ornament was a pink and purple superhero with her name on it and Juliet's was a Baby's first Christmas ornament.
The girls went to bed in their new jammies. The grownups made the magic happen under the tree, while we stayed up waiting for Uncle Cory to arrive from the NYPD academy in NYC. He got in just before midnight. The guys broke out the dip again and started feast number two while I snuck away to get some sleep before Juliet woke up again! Some years, I crash into bed exhausted by the rush of Christmas. This Christmas season my heart was much more aware of Jesus' birth and it made a big difference in the whole month! This year, I went to sleep smiling, peaceful and excited for the next morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment