Monday, August 5, 2013

Snapshots and Quotables

Ella's favorite thing to do is brush her teeth. She would seriously brush her teeth all day long if we let her. (which I'm actually liking the idea of more and more since her latest fascination is eating dirt!) She crawls into the bathroom and squeals until someone helps her get her toothbrush in hand.




cutie pie. 
Abby loves to be "cozy and snuggly" in her bed. We walked in one night to find her fast asleep and snuggled up like this:




Ella likes to help with the chores. OR look really cute while I do chores.



Did I mention Ella climbs on any and everything she possibly can? She thinks she's pretty much the coolest while she is doing it too.



Abby and I recently met up for a girls' night out with one of my closest friends and her future stepdaughter. We grabbed some dinner and then went shopping. Abby enjoyed her time with the grown-up girls and loved every minute of looking at fun accessories. When I tried to move her on to the next part of the store, she would say, "Wait, Mommy PULEEEASSE! I haven't tried everything on yet!" I love this new season where she is old enough to stay up a little later and go on dates with mom!


Ella also loves to climb anything she can outside, including the big slide. She can almost get to the top without any help and often gets up farther than I would like before I can run over to her. Yesterday, I turned around for a minute and then found her almost at the top of the slide's ladder.


Lately, we have been talking with Abby about what it means to be thankful. Mealtimes have become more of a struggle with complaints about what we are eating or how much she has to eat. So, as we talk about our many blessings from the Lord and responding in thankfulness, we've shared a glimpse of the reality that exists all around the world (and in our own city) that there are so many with no food or little choices. In the moment that night, I wasn't sure how much of it made sense to her, but I was motivated to pray. I prayed that God would help all of us truly understand the depth of what we have to be grateful for and give us hearts of compassion for those who are struggling, especially those who don't know Jesus.  That night, God showered me in His grace by allowing me to overhear Abby's prayers. It was one of those moments as a mom when God allowed me to see a glimmer of how He is moving within the hearts of our family. My heart overflowed with thankfulness as I heard:

"Father, I pray for the little kids in the world who don't have food. Mommy said some people only have white rice to eat. God, can you please give them food? Thanks for all the food I have. Thank you for the day. And the breeze. And the sun. Please help the other kids. Ok, thanks.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

Every minute of teaching and sharing (including the discipline) are worth it. Those moments may be challenging and trying on our patience, but they are worth it. There is nothing better or more powerful that I could be doing with my time. Because at the end of the day, it's God who multiplies the works of our hands. It is God who draws hearts to himself. It is God who opens our eyes to the truth. Lord, thank you for ways you work in hearts and transform lives with your love!



No comments:

Post a Comment