Tuesday, June 17, 2014

In Summer...

Summer is in full swing at our house. As I write this, Joe is outside cutting the grass at 8:30 because it is still light out. Fresh cut grass...one of my favorite smells EVER. I love long summer days because without much effort they seem to be filled with fun. And, not fun that you have to try hard for, but the fun that comes from playing in the backyard for hours and imagining or the fun that comes from swimming all day and only stopping long enough to have a picnic dripping wet on your towel. The homemade popsicles and s'mores kind of fun.

Yesterday, we were in the backyard all day. We didn't come inside until after dinner on the deck. Just one more reason I love this time of year.

 Happiness is...






For fun, we thought up our Summer Bucket List 2014. Not because I feel the need to fill my girls' days with activities, but because it's fun. Our time with our kids is precious and I want to make memories with them that cause them to look back on their childhood with happiness. I want to be intentional with these days, not distracted. I want to splash in the pool with them, get dirty, run in the yard, say yes more than I say no. I read a blog post the other day that reminded me, "I hold the power to determine what my family's summer will look like based on my choices."  This summer, I want to  choose to live, laugh and love my family by being even more present and embracing the moments.

We have some family trips planned, but here's our bucket list for the unplanned days, the days when summer life just happens...
  • a trip to Hoffman's
  • making S'mores in the backyard
  • potty training Ella
  • bike rides 
  • swimming like fish every chance we get 
  • ice cream and bedtime stories in the hammock 
  • the beach 
  • creating our backyard water park (sprinklers, water table, water slides, slip and slide, pool and water balloons)
  • paint rocks for the garden 
  • berry picking 
  • picnics
  • play in the rain 
  • make popsicles 

I can't write about summer without this happening in my head...(probably Ella's favorite Frozen song)




No comments:

Post a Comment