Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Summer Nights and Celebrations

This time of year is always full of celebrations. Our mailbox is flooded with invitations to birthday parties, all kinds of showers, weddings and graduation parties. With my birthday mixed right in, I've been partying my way through summer since the day I was born! I guess it only seemed fitting that Joe and I got married when we did.

Last Friday night, we celebrated a friend's high school graduation.

On Saturday night, we celebrated our friend Ryan who received tenure as a professor at a local University.  BBQ and s'mores with friends on a beautiful summer night while the kids played together in the yard. It was a great time! I'm so thankful to be a part of our friends' celebrations and milestone moments. 

the guys
Joe, Brian, Ryan and Josh
the ladies and my little buddy Isaac
Makena and Abby

Isa and Carter
happy kids sharing their chips
Ella waiting to try her very first S'more 
On top of all that fun, it was my birthday weekend, so we spent lots of time relaxing and hanging out as a family. My 29th birthday was on Monday. Joe had to work all day. The girls and I had nothing on our calender. So, instead of letting a Monday squash my birthday, we hopped in the car and went to spend the day with my parents. What better way to celebrate a birthday than spending the day with the people who gave me life, right?! We spent the morning with my dad. He took us out to breakfast, then we got to help him pick out his new plants at the nursery. The girls loved being Papa's helper. They also loved that he let them stick their fingers in a sugar packet to see what it tasted like. No big deal...just literally feeding the kids sugar like a true grandpa. He said it was an educational moment. They were curious and wanted to see what it tasted like! :)


I was on a birthday vacation. No kids needed me. The girls wanted Papa to carry them to the car and buckle them in. I was following them around the nursery with all the plants because the girls had to hold Papa's hand.


This was my view most of the morning! It makes my heart so happy.

Papa's little helpers
hanging out with Uncle Cory's new dog, Cooper


My mom joined us around lunchtime and we even got to spend a little time with Cory. My mom arrived with a big bunch of birthday balloons that made me feel like a little kid again! The girls were equally as thrilled as Grandma made sure to pick ones they would love too. We spent the afternoon in the front yard hula hooping with my Mom and blowing bubbles with my Dad. Then, off to get smoothies at the mall with Mom before heading home.

this picture means more to me than you could ever know

Love my mom and dad.

This is the best! We had a lot of fun!  And seriously, my mom can hula hoop better than all of us, though Abby is coming in a close second. I'm totally impressed. You should see her and Abby go at it! They are both really good. I think the next video will have to be them side by side.




 
 After a great day, we headed home to a birthday dinner with Joe! When we walked through the door, he had the dining room decked out with streamers, balloons and party hats. Dinner was cooking and an ice cream cake was calling my name. He's the best!

The girls took my birthday very seriously this year. Ella has been practicing the Happy Birthday song for weeks and was so proud to sing it to me first thing in the morning. Abby has announced that she would like to be a party planner when she grows up and she takes the role very seriously in our house. She also wants to be an artist, so not only does she intend to plan your parties, but she is also most likely planning your birthday card filled with her unique artwork! This was the conversation we had in the car the week before my birthday. She is really proud of the way she knows her momma so well. It melts my heart!

Abby: I'm not sure what Daddy and I are going to give you for your birthday. There are so many options.
Me: I bet you have lots of ideas. What are you thinking?
Abby: Well, first of all I know that I will make you a card with lots of colors and glitter. I was thinking maybe a really pretty notebook that you can make lots of lists in. OR...a sparkly necklace and bracelet. OR...maybe I could take you to get a manicure...
Me: You know me so well. I love you!
Abby: I do know you so well! These are good ideas. I want to take you to get a manicure...maybe at the place you took me on my birthday...but if I take you I want to get one too, Mommy. I would be too sad if only you got one. Do you think we should get manicures and pedicures?
Me: Well, I would love both of those with you, but that costs a lot of money, you know?
Abby: Ohhh I'll just count the money in my piggy bank and buy it. No wait. I'm saving that for my trip to Florida. Oh don't worry. Daddy has money. I know he'll give me dollars.

I got a manicure and pedicure date with Abby for my birthday. Daddy gave her dollars! ;) 
 
Abby gave a birthday speech before they all sang! 


love love love
I had a wonderful birthday! I'm thankful to everyone who helped to make it a special one. I'm thankful to have spent it with so many people I love. Every year is truly a gift and I intend to enjoy every bit of the last year in my 20's. Look at those faces, how could I not?!

My pretty birthday hat seemed to call for my very first selfie.








No comments:

Post a Comment